Explaining the position of sales and marketing intern is no difficulty. Over the last summer, I took the latter position within a private company called Truevalue Ltd., a company operating in the tea and coffee business. As an representative of the sales and marketing department, I had several tasks to complete. I started off by making sales calls from within the four walls of the office, to eventually earning enough experience to attend sales calls at several offices ranging from local retail stores to multinational corporations such as Deloitte and Vodafone.
An average day at the job would entail three key criteria:
1) Marketing Representative
2) Sales Representative
3) Officiant
I will go on to describe what each of these activities represent
Marketing Representative
The work of a marketing representative involves the following:
1) Making an inquiry into likely customers who are looking to rent or buy machines
2) Calling them up to market our product and ask them for a free trial
3) Follow up with the ones who are interested
For example, at the start of the day I would have a list of customers wanting to purchase machines, along with their contact details. I would call each on of them to market our products and ask them if they were interested in purchasing or testing our product. Those who would respond positively would be asked to come in or could request a free trial to test the product in their office. Finally, I would have to follow up with them to confirm a date and venue of trial.
Sales Representative
The work of a sales representative involves the following:
1) Attending sales calls at companies
2) Finalising on deals for product
After making sales calls I would attend meetings with administrative heads of several companies to follow up on their inquiry for the machines. This was a key job as all decision were made during the meet. During this we discussed the sale of the machines and the pricing for it. Basically, a sales call was the core of the business since we would know if it was a make or a break. Hence impressing the customers was our key. In addition we have to offer them competitive prices so they would take our offers over others
Officiant
The work of an officiant involves the following;
1) Attend offices where free trials were held
2) Sort out customer queries
During the day when I had free time I would head out to offices where trials were conducted. Out there, I would officiate the process and make sure everything is going according to plan. This is an important part since it help customers decide whether they would want our product. Hence I would also welcome any complaints from customers so as to improve our services.
I have worked in a sales role before as well for an insurance agency and it is one of the most difficult positions out there. It really teaches a lot about how to deal with rejection and picking yourself up from failure. I hope you had a good experience and will be able to take away valuable people skills from the experience.
ReplyDelete