Cricket, although not popular in the west, is the second most watched sport after soccer. From its origins in south east England, cricket has succesfully expanded its roots to commonwealth countries such as Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, India, Zimbabwe. However it reached a roadblock in the west. The popularity of the game was and is still constricted to the east, giving me an opportunity to inform you about the game that has been present in my life since the past 20 years.
The game is played with two teams of 11, each having a mix of players capable of bowling, batting and fielding, with one charismatic captain to lead. The game is divided into two innings, where in one team sends out two players at a time to bat and score runs, where as the other pitches in all 11 players to try to concede minimal runs. The runs are scored with a bat either through hitting the ball out of the field with or without a bounce, or running back and forth across 20 metres crease. Every run is added to the score and team continues to bat till it bats out 300 balls (50 overs each with 6 balls) or loses 10 wickets. After the first innings, the second team comes on the chase the target. Wickets are taken by either hitting the stumps placed behind the batsmen or by cathcing the ball the player hit without the ball touching the ground. The most popular format of the game usually lasts for 8 hours, with each innings lasting for 4 hours, hence making it a game only playable by the ones who have patience.
In my country, India, the game was introduced by Englishmen during the British rule. They used cricket as way to spread their roots across Asia. Additionally, they also got company at the game. Very soon the game spread to all the Commonwealth games. In India, the game soon became an iconic sport with villages and urban centres playing the game. The game meant more than a passtime sport. A game of cricket between villages and British governance of the area would often seal their fate in terms of rule, tax and laws. In India the game was and is so adored, that every street you cross will have kids playing the sport.
sounds interesting! I have watched some criket games but never play it. I should try it out sometime.
ReplyDeleteHello Karan,
ReplyDeleteI very much enjoyed reading your assignment. Your title did an excellent job of attracting my attention. I also found, the background information you provided to be very useful. Finally, I like that you shared how cricket related to you personally, by explaining its origins in your hone country of India.
Best,
Brandon Delijani
Wow, I had no idea cricket was the second most watched sport in the world after soccer. I would have probably said football or basketball, but that just shows you how uncultured or not-into-sports I am.
ReplyDeleteI wonder why this spot is not popular in the west, considering how popular it actually is across the world. That is crazy the game last 8 hours, I did not know that... I don't even get 8 hours of sleep.
ReplyDeleteIt's very interesting movie! I enjoyed reading your writing because you provided your own story to this
ReplyDeleteI have heard of the sport cricket before, but did not realize that it was such a popular sport around the world. Reading your post was very informative and gives the reader a clear detail of how the sport is played.
ReplyDeleteAfter recently getting into soccer and following soccer since it's so popular around the world but couldn't do it, too many barriers to entry. Maybe after reading this I'll give it another try
ReplyDelete